The tradition of motorcycle racing in Brno dates back to 1930 on the so-called ‘City Circuit’. The first Czechoslovakian Grand Prix was held at Brno in 1965, with the 500cc class raced over thirteen laps of the original 13.94 km long road circuit. The current circuit was first used for GP racing in 1987 and hosted the Czechoslovakian GP through until 1991.
The event was revived in 1993 as the Grand Prix of the Czech Republic and has taken place every year since. The only venue to have hosted more Grand Prix events than Brno being Assen, in the Netherlands. Races at Brno attract large crowds and in recent years the presence of local riders such as Lukáš Pešek, Karel Abraham and Jakub Kornfeil have added to the excitement of this historic Grand Prix.